I created and started sending the Monday Motivator (MM) out each Monday to my students at M.I.T. a few years ago, as a way of speaking into their lives each week. I base the material I write on the 5 objectives (grow devotionally – think theologically – live communally – walk wisely – serve globally framework) developed by the Washington DC Chi Alpha Team. I post a new MM each on Monday between 10:00 am and lunchtime.
Several of my Chi Alpha missionary friends heard about the MM’s and asked to receive it. Recently the national Chi Alpha office heard about them and they asked to make it available on the national web site (www.chialpha.com) to anyone who would like to subscribe to it. The first 52 MM’s were posted there in the summer of 2010. The ones posted here are originals that I write each work toward my goal of 365.
There are five objectives to sum up everything we do in our work among college students:
1) We believe that a Christian should grow devotionally: This involves a growing intimacy with God through the study of Scripture, prayer, worship, and active service.
2) We believe that a Christian should think theologically: God gave us Scripture to guide our understanding. We study the Scriptures to learn who God is, who we are, how we should live, and how we should serve.
3) We believe that a Christian should live communally: Jesus came to reconcile us to God and to each other. He calls us out of isolation and into a new community where we can begin to practice the love he inspires in each of us.
4) We believe that a Christian should walk wisely: Christianity is not merely a set of beliefs. It is a way of life. Jesus called all of us to be his disciples. A disciple works to put Jesus’ teaching into action.
5) We believe that a Christian should serve globally: Christianity involves rolling our sleeves up and getting our hands dirty. Love means nothing if it doesn’t change lives. We are committed to service locally and throughout the Earth.
Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship is a Christian student organization open to all students. It’s a safe place to bring your questions as we learn to read the Bible for ourselves and explore the possibilities that Jesus offers us. Jesus told us that our faith is to be active, so we actively encourage and serve each other and, together, we serve the campus and the people around us.
Jesus claimed to be the way and the truth and the light for all humanity. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, but we do believe that Jesus does and that he actively communicates and empowers all those who honestly pursue him. Join with us as we join with God to work to bring healing to this world.
Are you motivated?
P.S. I hope you will consider making the MM’s available to high school or college students you know through your network. Inform them about the free subscription to audio MM’s via the Chi Alpha App or on http://www.chialpha.com. Sign up yourself at our national site, or do it here to receive the ones I write each week that are fresh off the drawing board. Put a link on your personal or church web site. Inform your neighbors. Just feel free to pass on the MM’s to anyone you believe would benefit in their ongoing soul awakening/spiritual growth journey.